"As a leader, you are responsible to manage your group members.
If they are not performing well, leader always be the one to blame as he or she is having the full responsibility to ensure the group performance is achieved what has been planned at initial stage." (retrieved from Information Technology Project Management slides)
As mentioned by Dr. Mobashar during his lecture, handling people from different backgrounds is always the hardest thing when doing a project management.
This is due to different people may practise different working cultures and have different perceptions towards deadlines.
Today, it was really a "memorable" day for me.
My lecturer get mad because of my group. Why? Some of my members did not complete what have been told by the lecturer. She is having high expectation on us. That is why she was not happy.
Bad attitudes of students, do not follow the instruction and do not concern about the deadlines aka last minute (It used to happen in every semester and any subject)
Well, it was the very first time I was leading a group consist of 10 members (8 males and 1 female)
Yes, I thought it was an easy or normal task for me at the beginning
This is because I had convinced myself that I have the experiences of being a group leader since I was taking my diploma
Thus, it is normal that I am having this kind of feeling. In fact, I have the wrong perception on this matter.
Although the outcomes were not reached what I am expected, I learned a lots by completing this project.
Wrong perception 1, I am expecting all my members are going to follow the planned schedule and complete every task on time. Unfortunately, there is only 3 of them manage to do that.
Lesson learned, do not expecting every members to work at 100% capacity but minimum 40% especially guys
Wrong perception 2, I am also expecting all members should remember the tasks that have been assigned to them. Lesson learned, sometimes spoon feeding is inevitable. (Bad culture indeed.)
Wrong perception 3, praise, reward and penalty will help to increase people's commitment. Perhaps they needs another kind of rewards and punishments?! My group members seems like get motivated by their games and girl friends? I don't really understand them as well.
Wrong perception 4, provides help and reminders all the time. It is definitely a bad idea to have this kind of thinking. Being kind in this way is killing the opportunity for them to learn and be independent. They like last minute work and expecting someone is going to guide them step by step in a very detailed manner. Guys, I am neither an answer maker nor encyclopedia and I have limitations too. Asking help during midnight is definitely a torture for me as I am not able to have good night sleep after answering your doubts. Therefore, the best guide is always refer to lecturer or asking help from Google or textbook. Paying more attention during lecture class instead of playing tower of savior.
Boys, the creature that really hard to understand
Sometimes you feel that they are smart but they are not
Sometimes you feel that they are stupid but they are not
Sometimes you feel that they are brave but they are not
Sometimes I feel like want to address them as cowards
but they tends to show me their courage when facing challenges
Sometimes I feel like want to punch on their faces
but they tends to make me happy when I get frustrated
Such a complex creature right?
Guys always said that women are the creature that hard to understand
I feel like want to have some objections on this statement.
Anyhow, it was a great experience to complete a big project with them
A heartfelt thank for you guys for helping me to complete this project.
Good luck for your final exam dude!
No comments:
Post a Comment